In the NEWS: ECB's Weidmann urges Greece to stick to painful reforms - paper
ATHENS (Reuters) - Greece must stick to painful reforms that are yielding results to make its economy competitive and help it exit its economic crisis, the head of the German central bank told Sunday's Kathimerini newspaper.
Greece is in the midst of talks with chief inspectors from the European Union, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund who are conducting a bailout performance review before the remaining funding is released.
The review has been interrupted twice since September due to the reluctance of Greece's fragile, austerity-weary coalition government to adopt any more unpopular measures to satisfy its lenders.
Successive governments have imposed higher taxes, wage cuts and redundancies in the public sector and cuts to pensions, leaving an economy that has shrunk by a quarter after a six-year depression, with more than one in four Greeks unemployed.
"Greece is going through fundamental changes with huge pain for its people. But the pursued policy is already showing signs the macroeconomic situation is improving," Bundesbank chief Jens Weidmann told the paper in an interview.
Prayers for Greece in the Past:
1. 7/18/11 - I know we are always praying for Greece’s financial situation, but that seems to be their national problem now. We need to pray that the Greeks will learn their lesson and not create huge entitlements in the future. They have promised more than they can afford. Luke 14:28
For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it—
2. 3/18/13 - Let us pray for the return of the former glory of Greece. Let us pray that Greece would be repositioned to the place of taking Goodness/Good News to the world again.
3. 7/13/09 - Let us do warfare for Greece. Although it may not be seen in the natural, but Greece is the spiritual gateway to Europe. Let us join together in pulling down strong-holds over Greece.
Just as they have chosen their own ways,
And their soul delights in their abominations,
So will I choose their delusions,
And bring their fears on them;
Because, when I called, no one answered,
When I spoke they did not hear;
But they did evil before My eyes,
And chose that in which I do not delight.
1. Let us be thankful to the Lord for the signs of recovery.
2. Because of Greece’s miss-management of government expenditures they have put on a diet. The Greeks had an economic delusion and the payday has come. Let us pray that Greeks will face their fears with patience and seek wisdom.
3. Outside entities like the European Union, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund have had to come in to rescue the broken economy. The bible says “a debtor is slave to the lender”. Let us pray that Greeks will rise up to recover their country.
4. Let us pray for a complete change in the government bureaucracy and the revamping of spending policies.
5. Let us pray for policies that give hope to the people and guide them into responsibility and productivity.
6. Greece needs intercessors. Nehemiah 1:4 “And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven, Let us pray God would raise up men and women to stand in the gap for Greece.
7. Greece needs some good men like Nehemiah and Zerubbabel that can inspire and organize the rebuilding of sound walls to hold up the nation.
8. As you pray for Greece you can read and meditate on the following scriptures from Nehemiah.
44) And at the same time some were appointed over the rooms of the storehouse for the offerings, the firstfruits, and the tithes, to gather into them from the fields of the cities the portions specified by the Law for the priests and Levites; for Judah rejoiced over the priests and Levites who ministered.
45) Both the singers and the gatekeepers kept the charge of their God and the charge of the purification, according to the command of David and Solomon his son.
46) For in the days of David and Asaph of old there were chiefs of the singers, and songs of praise and thanksgiving to God.
47) In the days of Zerubbabel and in the days of Nehemiah all Israel gave the portions for the singers and the gatekeepers, a portion for each day. They also consecrated holy things for the Levites, and the Levites consecrated them for the children of Aaron.
Please leave a Comment or Reaction so we will know you prayed.