Week of April 29 - May 5, 2013
What is the largest city in Europe? - lubnatsI
Istanbul, with an estimated population of 14 million, it is the second largest city in the world after Shanghai, China.
First established 660 BC as Byzantium, the city now known as Istanbul developed to become one of the most significant cities in history. For nearly sixteen centuries following its reestablishment as Constantinople in 330 AD, it served as the capital of four empires: the Roman Empire (330–395), the Byzantine Empire (395–1204 and 1261–1453), the Latin Empire (1204–1261), and the Ottoman Empire (1453–1922). It was instrumental in the advancement of Christianity during Roman and Byzantine times, before the Ottomans conquered the city in 1453 and transformed it into an Islamic stronghold and the seat of the last caliphate.
The Roman emperor Constantine in 330 established Istanbul (Constantinople) as the new Christian Rome. The historians debate his motives, but the result was a place where Christianity had a foothold and a major city to be launched from. In 1453, Sultan Mahmed II finally captured the city for the Ottoman Empire and it has been an Islamic ever since.
A Great City well worthy of our Prayers –
1) Let us pray for Istanbul. May the Lord visit the city in a special way. Lord, come release your compassion on this city.
2) Churches are allowed to exist in the city but it had for them the get established. There is much resistance from the predominant Muslim neighborhoods and magistrates. Let us pray for open doors and open hearts.
3) There are houses of prayer in the city and they are contending in prayer for the city. Let us first pray for them to have an open heaven to intercede from.
4) May there be a release of creative strategies to reach many in the city with the Gospel.
5) Lord, we ask You for protection on behalf of every Christian in Istanbul.
6) Lord, we pray for the positioning of Christians to be lights among their Muslim neighbors. May they excel in wisdom, kindness and favor. Help them be able to walk above the oppression of Islam that is now allowed to dominate the city.
7) Let us believe for a day when the city can once again be established as stronghold of the Gospel. Let us believe for a day when Muslims find their true redeemer.
8) Let us pray for many missionaries to be sent to Istanbul. There is a new generation of missionaries being raised up to preach the end-time message to the world; may they find an open door to Istanbul.
9) Let me describe a mental vision I received while praying the directive I had written above. I seen the Lord standing above Istanbul with His feet resting on the city. I looked and He had His hands stretched out in a welcoming jester. Then I looked again and He had a sword held at His side. I ask what did this mean? The Holy Spirit said the Lord would stand above the city and He would be seen by two types of people. Some would see him as a welcoming friend and loving Savior. Some would see Him as a conquering warrior, a man of authority. Both would receive Him as Savior.; both would enter into His peace.
Please leave a Comment or Reaction so we will know you Prayed.