Week of Jan. 19-25, 2015
NOTE: We appreciate prayer for European Initiative also - See left panel.
In the NEWS: Kosovo mobilizes to fight religious radicalism and terrorism
After a major police operation, that recently resulted in 40 arrests of people suspected of engaging in conflicts in Syria and Iraq and supporting terrorist organizations, Kosovo institutions mobilized to fight religious extremism in the country
The involvement of Albanians in the spread of religious radicalism and terrorism in Syria and Iraq has mobilized the NATO mission in Kosovo, besides national security forces.
Heads of Islamic, Orthodox and Catholic communities urged their fellow believers to stay away from any form of extremism or violence and support peace for a better future. They condemned who uses the name of God to perpetrate criminal act against humanity, adding that religions should never justify hatred and violence.
The rule of law institutions have increased their vigilance and the Parliament will soon pass legislation banning citizens from joining foreign insurgencies, with a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison on conviction.
The majority of the population in Kosovo is Muslim. According to the Constitution, the Republic of Kosovo is a secular state and is neutral in matters of religious belief.
President Atifete Jahjaga said that Kosovo will not be a shelter for extremism. The head of the Islamic Community in Kosovo, mufti Naim Ternava, … says “[Extremist] have nothing to do with the real Islam, with its principals and rules, with Qu’ran and Hadith” .
But what motivates Muslims in Kosovo to join Islamist militants in Syria and Iraq?
“Some individuals in Pristina fall prey to propaganda by people living outside Kosovo who call them to participate in a 'holistic' war and they don’t analyze the situation. An investigative journalist in Pristina, Serbeze Haxhiaj, says that the lack of job opportunities for youth in Kosovo and the harsh socio-economic situation are also important elements that stimulate people to join paid radical groups.
…the Islamic Community should take a lead in this educational and awareness campaign supported by national intuitions, media and civil society.
Violeta Hyseni Kelmendi | Pristina 25 August 2014 http://world.einnews.com/article/220188674/Q_mazaUdJEknpZjB
1. Let us first thank the Lord for answering prayer. These steps of the Kosovo institutions to take steps against radical Islam is a blessing for the country.
2. We also thank the Lord for exposing these radical elements in Kosovo and the authorities taking appropriate actions. Lord, You direct rulers and governments to keep the peace as we pray for them.
2 Timothy 2:1-2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.
3. We pray that these radical Imams and teachers would be exposed and dealt with according to laws that promote peace and freedom.
4. We want to celebrate religious freedom in Kosovo. Although the evangelicals are small in numbers, the Kosovo laws do not restrict proselytizing and public promotion of Christian events.
5. May we also celebrate the stand Islamic leaders are taking to speak up against radical elements in their mist. Lord, we ask for their protection.
6. Let us also pray against radical Christians that do not display love toward Muslims but themselves agitate hate.
7. Lord we pray for Christians to become Muslim lovers! In many Muslim communities across the Muslim world, Christians are using unconditional love to turn Muslims to Christ.
8. Holy Spirit, we pray that You would continue to blow across the land. May the Intercessors and Christian Kosovars continue to pray for Kosovo.
Matthew 5:43-44 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.”
Please leave a Comment or Reaction so we will know you Prayed.