The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower is servant to the lender.
Greece is broke and in debt. Greece is a servant to the lender.
Like many countries, the Greek government relies on borrowed money to balance its books. The recession has made this harder to achieve, because tax revenues are falling just as welfare payments start to rise. It doesn't help that, in Greece, tax evasion is commonplace and pension rights are unusually generous – http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/06/greek-debt-crisis-economy
This report from the Guardian is discouraging and alarming. Greece is the sick man of Europe and much prayer is needed to open doors of Mercy and favor from heaven.
1) Greece has made many mistakes but our God is a God of Mercy. Lord, you judge nations, so we lay Greece before Your throne and ask that mercy be extended.
2) Lord, we ask that financial wisdom come forth to save the country. Lord, bring forth the Christian captains of business. Give them strategies to recharge the economy.
3) The article above mentions tax evasion being commonplace. We are clearly taught in the Bible that disregard for civil law is a sin. A man that hoards and holds back due payments will be cursed. (This can apply to tithing also) Lord, we pray for righteousness even in paying taxes and tithes. (Prov. 29:2, Matt.8:9, 1Tim. 2:1-3)
The following are prayer needs sent in by a dear brother and prayer warrior in Greece, Spyros Karalis. (He had a long list so I had to edit for the blog space. I have added the bold text)
Thank you, dear brother, because you honor me, asking a list of praying requests for my country.
Here is what I think is important:
4) Thanks to the Father for good Greek and Jewish relationships. We pray to continue this trend especially in the Church of Christ and in all Greek society, because there are still strong anti-Semitic feelings among the Greek Orthodox, even among some born again Christians. There is too much false propaganda from the Muslims against the Jews in the Greek media. This falsely influences all the Greek people.
5) Lets pray that Greek and Jewish believers be united as one in the Lord, and make visits and invitations one another between them. We have been brothers estranged for a long time. I am sure that as Greek believers we have a special calling in order to provoke to jealousy the Jewish people by our love and commitment to them. (Read the following link for more information of Greeks reaching out to Israel, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116310801714451&ref=ts)
6) We see recently a new spirit of unity between Evangelical and Pentecostal Christians. Thanks to our Father for that trend. We pray to continue and establish a new era of unity and brotherly respect between all born again believers in Greece. A new unity of all believers for the evangelization of our people. Lord we do ask for Your prayer to be fulfilled, “that they may be one, as We are.”
7) We pray for a strong unity and respect between pastors, elders and everyone who works in the ministry in the Church of every Christian denomination. Prayers and friendship between them.
8) I have a strong feeling that our Lord has prepared a "Greek Orthodox Martin Luther". May this man appear. May he come from the inside, from the womb of the Greek Orthodox Church, some Orthodox theologian, or clerical, priest, bishop or monk, who fears only God, not men, with the spirit of Elijah or John the Baptist, and who will call all Greek Orthodox people to repentance, exalting only the Sacred Word of God, not human church traditions. Someone who has profound knowledge of the Greek Orthodox tradition and who knows the writings of the Greek Church Fathers. Someone who loves Israel. May this man appear in our days and may appear shortly. Yes, Lord, we join in calling out for this voice from within.
9) As kings and priests of our God, we call Him and His authority upon our country. We pray Him to come upon the sky of Greece and take His authority in our country. We invite him, “Come, dear Lord.” Take your authority that the Devil questioned. We want you, not the Devil that holds dominion now upon Greece. Lord, we ask for Your Kingdom to come to Greece.
10) “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." John 16:8-11 We pray for this about the Greek people.
11) We pray against ancient pernicious religious doctrines, Greek Orthodox errors: between them, sacramentalism that is magic (seven sacraments which only priests have authority to accomplish), worship of icons (strong feelings of idolatry) and worship of saints and the Virgin Mary (that is invocation of dead spirits, necromancy), against clericalism, (they made priests a special order in the Church, who became mediators between God and the believers, forbidding the simple believer to go directly in the name of Jesus to his Heavenly Father). We pray that all these satanic religious strongholds in the Greek Orthodox Church may come down in our days. Let us pray for those trapped in the false Orthodox belief that they are the only right church and all others are heretics. Lord, bring down the false oppressive spiritual authority of the Greek Orthodox clergy upon the conscience of the Greek people. May the Greeks begin to search in other places for the real Christian faith, and not turn to disbelief.
"The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, The haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, And the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day" (Isaiah 2:11).
12) We pray against political and social corruption in the Greek society. We pray against a spirit of racism that has come in Greece because of the illegal immigration, especially Muslims. The illegal immigrants are about 1,5 million people in Greece, while our population is about 10 million. We pray also against the uncontrolled illegal immigration that produces much of social stress.
13) We pray for the evangelization of Muslims in Greece. There are too many, and there is a danger of terrorist activity.
14) Common prayers, helping, worship and teaching between believers of every denomination. Little by little we want to become One in the Lord.
15) Let us pray for Bro. Spyros Karalis; Lord keep him in Your special care. Lord, bring many other intercessors to his side. Lord, I pray that You would draw men and women of prayer around him and may they be granted an open heaven.
Please leave a comment or reaction to let us know you prayed.