There is a good article in the Charisma News that is worth noting for prayer, “Turkey's Christians Could Face Nationalist Backlash”. You can read it at http://www.charismanews.com/world/38171-turkeys-christians-could-face-nationalist-backlash
Religion was kept out of the public square for decades in Turkey. This helped in keeping radical Islam under control and Turks indentified with the West more. For the past 10 years this has been changing and religious institutions are becoming more active. This is mainly because of the new government body that came into power in 2002. The government leaders are now turning from a desire to be like Europe and identifying more with Muslim nations. Although there has been more freedom given to the churches to operate, there is a backlash from nationalist who see the Christians as non-Turks because they are not Islamic. Nationalist usually blame minorities for their county’s problems. Also there is the threat of radical Muslims being embolden to attack Christians. The biggest need is to firm-up laws that protect minorities, especially religious minorities.
1. Let us pray for the government to take seriously their responsibility to protect all Turkish citizens, even the minorities.
2. Let us pray for government leaders to open their eyes to the fact that Islam is anti-productive for Turkey. We pray for open doors to the hearts of Turkish leaders.
3. We thank the Lord that Christians are more active now than before. Lord, we pray they will be given discernment on how to evangelize in a Muslim culture.
4. We pray against the lie that Christians are a threat to nationalism. Lord, change the mind-set of the nationalist to see that Christianity is not a foreign concept.
5. The greatest gain in Christianity in Turkey has been the house churches and the houses of prayer. Let us pray for these house churches to excel in prayer and step out into the market place to touch lives one on one.
6. Let us remember the Christians in Turkey. It is not easy living under a prevailing spirit of Islam. Pray that these houses of prayer would be able to press through into an open heaven.
2 Thess. 1:4-7Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring. All this is evidence that God’s judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well.
Editor’s Note: Nationalism, if channeled right, can be a good thing. The Lord said He is coming to judge tribes and nations.
Please leave a Comment or Reaction so we will know you prayed.