There has been a film made, “BESA, The Promise” that celebrates Albanian Muslims that saved many Jews during World War II from the Nazis. There is an unwritten Albanian tradition called “Besa” — a code of honor that it is better to die than to turn your back on a person in need. The film project was produced by photographers Norman Gershman and Stu Huck.
“It's their culture. Someone who shows up at their door, you shelter them from danger. Even if it's their mortal enemy,” Huck said. “And the reason nobody knows about this is, to Albanians this is perfectly normal. In other countries, this is celebrated as extraordinary; in Albania, they couldn't understand people not doing it. Everybody in Albania did it, even the king, King Zog. He personally intervened.”
Don Richardson, a famous missionary, defined the concept of redemptive analogy in his books Peace Child and Eternity in Their Hearts. He explained how, embedded in any culture, there is usually some practice or understanding which can be used to demonstrate the Gospel.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. (NIV)
1. Lord, You draw us unto Yourself. Let us thank the Lord for putting a desire in us to seek Him. Let us pray for the “redemptive analogy” He has put before the people of Albania.
2. Let us pray that this beautiful redemptive analogy will run its full course and lead many Albanians to its origin, the heart of God. Truly Lord, You desire to bring the hurt and needy into Your house.
3. Let us pray for churches/houses of rescue to be raised up in Albania. Think about it, Jesus died to bring us into the Father’s house where we are protected from the enemy.
4. Lord, I ask for a blessing upon the descendants of those families that risked their lives to save those Jews. May those blood lines be a thread of blessing through the Albanian culture.
5. Lord, remember what they did for Your chosen people. We declare a blessing for Albania. We are asking You, Holy Spirit, to move in that land and set many free.
6. Rescue the children of Albania. Lord, draw this young generation unto You. Let us pray for children ministries. Lord, raise up organizers that will plan many outreaches for the coming summer.
Please leave a Comment or Reaction so we will know you Prayed.