Week of Feb. 23 - March 1, 2015
< Be sure and include in your prayers the European Initiative needs in the left column.
The original text of the Škofja Loka Passion Play by Friar Romuald (preserved at the Capuchin Monastery Archives and Library, Škofja Loka) dates from 1721, making it the oldest Slovene dramatic text in existence. Fragments of the play were reconstructed in 1936 and 1965, but efforts by the Museum Society of Škofja Loka to reassemble the complete text did not begin in earnest until 1997, when the mayor of Škofja Loka suggested a new staging of the play. Various organizational groups were formed and joined by experts on costume design, language, acting, vocal and instrumental music, overall image creation, cuisine, organization and promotion. Group leaders recruited actors in individual villages, rehearsals were organized and the play was performed in 1999 and again in 2000. On each occasion 1,200 participants (640 local amateur actors, 80 horsemen, etc.) presented the Passion in four locations in Škofja Loka, to over 30,000 spectators. The latest Passion was performed in 2009 (800 actors, 80 horsemen, 24,000 spectators) and will be re-staged again only in March and April 2015. The next event is scheduled for 2021.
More interesting facts about the city of Skofia Loka; Established over a thousand years ago and the story of Prince Abraham who was saved by his African servant and therefore the servants picture is depicted on the city coat of arms. http://www.skofjaloka.info/index.php?lang=en&meni=pm&page=zgmesta
1) There is a time when it is necessary to look back in the past to find actions of faithfulness that can encourage our present hope. Thank You, Lord, for Friar Romuald and his act of writing down in the Slovene language the week of Your Passion.
2) As this play has been a touch point for remembering the pain and suffering Jesus went through, let us remember that He did it for the Slovenian people and their nation. May they also see the glorious day Jesus arose from the grave.
3) During the last week of March and the first week of April when this dramatic play is once again performed, let us pray for a true redemption to touch many that come to the event.
4) Let us pray for the Holy Spirit to soften hearts, open minds and activate the spirit man of every one who attends. Lord, draw many that need to be introduced or need to remember how you gave Your life for us all.
5) Lord, we pray for Your remnant of believers in this small city. May they be encouraged in their faith and find a new joy in serving You, Lord Jesus.
In addition, we will pray for some specific needs:
6) Slovene Bible Society, New Translation - The Bible Society wants every Slovene to come into contact with the Bible and its message. Pray for the project to translate the New Testament into colloquial, modern Slovene, the “Life with Jesus” translation. Pray it would bring God’s word closer to people, since often traditional biblical phrases seem foreign to them.
7) Corruption - In past years we have seen the destructive power of corruption in key Slovene businesses and even charities. Pray political and business leaders, as well as average people, would obey the laws, pay taxes, and live honorably with integrity.
8) Pray for the Churches of Slovenia - Pray for God’s blessing on the churches of Slovenia. Pray that the name of Jesus would be lifted up today, that many more people would hear the Gospel and come to the truth, to reconciliation and forgiveness, that many more would be healed, freed, saved.
9) Drug Addicts - There are several ministries and many churches in Slovenia working with addicts. Pray for wisdom for believers in how to help and encourage them. Pray for newly converted addicts to be boldly on fire for God, and to grow in their faith.
Please leave a Comment or Reaction so we will know you Prayed.