Although Turkey has a secular constitution that offers religious freedom, that is not actually the case. I say “offers” because it is not enforced. Overwhelming favor is always shown to Islam. Turkey officials boast about quickly arresting those that attack other religions, but for some reason they never go to court. Radical Islam has been disfavored In Turkey in the past, but it is gaining acceptance, especially since 9-11. Most likely the man on the street does not know what religious freedom really means. To him not being Muslim is just not being Turkish.
1) Let us pray for the people in Turkey that they would strive to be Turks and realize that is separate from Islam. It is a good thing to be a Turk with a distinct history (good and bad).
2) Although peoples’ hearts are won on a one to one level or family level, Let us pray for the government to stand by their freedom of religion laws.
3) Let us pray that Turks would know that freedom of conscience is a fundamental human right.
4) Let us pray that Turks would hear the real Christian message of how Jesus went forth doing good not encouraging crusades. Jesus never converted others at the point of a sword.
5) Lord, we ask You to confuse the enemy and bring disunity and adherence to radical Islam. As a culture Muslims may be peaceful but radical Islam is a criminal mind set.
6) Let us pray for the Christians in Turkey. My they be able to live peaceful lives in the mist of Islam’s lies.
7) Lord show them how to be examples of Your good works to their neighbors.
8) Lord we pray for the Houses of Prayer that are popping up in Turkey. Lord, this is Your wisdom at work to impact a culture. Houses of Prayer not only create a center for prayer warfare but they help mature the Christians so they can plan strategies for building the Kingdom.
9) Lord, we pray for protection for those missionaries that You have sent into Turkey. May they teach the Turkish Christians the joy of serving You.
Acts 14: 1-3 Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed. But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brethren. Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.
10) Lord, we ask that signs and wonders would be performed at the hands of Turkish believers as they speak boldly in Your name.
Extra reading: http://www.austindailyherald.com/news/2010/jul/05/true-religious-freedom-not-be-found-turkey/ , http://article.nationalreview.com/437766/turkey-christians-in-danger/john-f-cullinan, http://www.wnponline.org/wnp/wnp1005/turkey-crossroads.htm, http://www.two-fot.org/ Also read the book of Acts to see how the people in Turkey (Asia Minor) quickly received the Gospel from the disciples.
We want to know how you feel about this Blogspot, so please use the comments link below. If you have information about any of the other Balkan countries please share them also by commenting. Thanks for sharing a burden for the Balkan countries. There is a continual testimony throughout Christian history of revivals and before they broke out intercessory prayer went first. There are different theologies on this matter, but prayer moves the hand of God. Know that your prayers are not in vane; God will have mercy on the Balkan people. Someday you will see God's glory there and you will be able to say, "I prayed for that".
- Jerry Low, Editor and Webmaster